What Happens After Your Procedure in Austin, TX?
Below are links to our downloadable post-surgical breast reconstruction recovery guides. These are ideal to review before your pre-operative appointment with us. Write down any questions you may have and bring them with you to the office or give us a call to speak with one of our breast cancer survivors on our patient care team.
You should arrange for someone to stay with you in the days immediately following discharge. Most patients are able to return to work after four to five weeks, or possibly longer if your job requires heavy lifting or other strenuous activity. Moderate swelling of the reconstructed breast for a few months is to be expected, as is numbness in the reconstructed breast, the donor site, and possibly the upper, inner arm for six to 12 months post-op. An emotional letdown after surgery is normal.
- Post-Surgical DIEP Flap Discharge Instructions
- Post-Surgical Implant-Tissue Expander Discharge Instructions
- Post-Surgical Oncoplastic Reconstruction Discharge Instructions
- Post-Surgical Reconstruction Revision Discharge Instructions
- Post-Surgical Reconstruction Revision TE Removal Implant Placement Instructions
- Post-Surgical Thigh or Gluteal Flap Discharge Instructions
After two weeks, you may begin gentle scar massage with a moisturizing lotion to help soften scars while healing. Protect your incision from sun exposure by applying sunblock to scars for the first year. Sun damage darkens and thickens scars and can penetrate bathing suits.
Please call us if you experience:
- Persistent fever above 101.5º
- Rapidly expanding swelling under the skin
- Spreading redness around the surgical site(s)
- If you had a living tissue reconstruction, change in the color of your flap
- Pus in your drain
Austin Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Known for natural-looking aesthetic results in breast reconstruction and cosmetic surgery.
- Elected by peers for inclusion in Texas Monthly's Texas Super Doctors®: Rising Stars listing.
- Reconstructed over 6,000 patients, including more than 2,500 DIEP flap reconstructions.
- 4.9-star average rating over hundreds of reviews for reconstructive and cosmetic surgery.